Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Food101 Melbourne (Part 1)

Food in Melbourne: A side-dish for this blog with regards to food.
After my run last night, I went up to the hotel and took a bath. Tried contacting Melven, my colleague who's putting up at the same hotel as me, in vain. (turns out he was out drinking with the rest of the colleagues)

So I wandered off on my own, in search of good food in the city of Melbourne, or so I thought.

I saw this restaurant that had named itself "Singapore Chom Chom".
Now of course, in Singapore, the correct spelling would have been Serangoon Gardens Chomp Chomp. So I entered the restaurant and ordered myself a Sweet Barbecued Pork with Rice.

The picture here depicts the expected color/texture of the Barbecue Pork which I was expecting:

However, when the food arrived, it looked like barbecue sliced pork with sweet barbecue sauce.



Nevertheless, the A$7.50 wasn't worth it although the serving was huge and the presentation was "upmarket" compared to Singapore's SGD3 plate of "Char Siew Rice"

General tip #1: When eating in Melbourne. Never order food with reference to "Singapore". (E.g. Singapore Fried Rice, Singapore Chom Chom) (Tip courtesy from Melven)

On another note, I noticed that after dinner, there are more restaurants serving Cantonese Roasted pork and chicken in Little Burke Street (a.k.a Chinatown) and their Char Siew (hanging from the display) looked more authentic than the display.

General tip #2: When looking for Cantonese Roast Meats, do not rely on photographs. Look for the actual display.

No comments:

Post a Comment