Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, February 8, 2010

A "Chicken Soup for the Soul" - Song for Thoughts

Daddy could not wait to return to Singapore last month. He had received an SMS from SingTel informing him that songs can be downloaded from SingTel AMPed for free. When Daddy had some time over the weekend in Singapore, he activated the iPhone application which he had downloaded many weeks ago but was unable to use because he was not within SingTel Mobile's network coverage.

The songs selection were not plenty and disappointed Daddy. Daddy randomly downloaded a few songs and one of them was Eason Chan's 床頭燈 from his recent album, 上五樓的快活. Daddy did not paid much attention to it because it was a relatively new song and Daddy had not heard about it before.

Last night Daddy listened to the song carefully on his earphones with the iPhone, paying special attention to the music and Eason's vocals. Eason's voice on 床頭燈 was his usual relaxed, soft-speaking yet powerful and almost perfect control over his pitch. Daddy liked the melody of the song. In particular, Daddy loved how the song easily added layers (扑层) to Eason's feelings. Being more of an English-speaking person that Daddy is, the lyrics to the songs were not that clearly understood.

Daddy tried to hear the song again and again as he would when he's infatuated with a song. This time round, he wants to learn the lyrics so he can sing along instead of just mumbling out its pronunciation. Daddy searched the internet for videos of the MTV and was surprised to find that none existed. "Could this song be a non-seller (冷門)?

Disheartened, Daddy tried to search for the lyrics and found it easily. As expected, the degree of difficulty stumped Daddy initially. Copying the lyrics wholesale and translating it with Google' language tools did not yield a correct result. Daddy decided to use his limited understanding of Mandarin and Google's search and language translation tool to translate the lyrics as it should be. After its translation, Daddy finally interpreted the deep meaning of the song and the powerful message its trying to bring across.

Instead of trying to translate the song line by line, Daddy will try to pen down his interpretation of the lyrics:

Lyrics are in reproduced from http://www.easonmusic.com/wiki/%E5%BA%8A%E9%A0%AD%E7%87%88 in its traditional Chinese format.

作曲:李雨寰
填詞:葛大為
編曲:李守信/金木義則/黃冠豪/石博元
監製:林暐哲

搖上車窗 轉鑰匙孔 等引擎熄火 世界難得安靜幾秒鐘
心裡面的鏡頭 突然特寫我 已經習慣多久 得過且過
I wind up the windows to the car and turned off its engine. In that instance, a rare moment of silence engulfed my senses.
Always used to being contented to drift along in life, I felt a sudden sensation of focus upon myself:

曾經夢想 拯救宇宙 許多年以後 在電影院看 天災人禍
快毀滅的地球 總會出現英雄
不知不覺也欣然接受 那並不是我
I used to dream of saving the universe. Many years later, I watched about natural and man-made disasters from the movies. As planet Earth constantly spins towards it ultimate destruction, a hero will surely emerge. Slowly but surely, I have come to terms with my unattainable ambitions. I am not that hero but I am pleased with it.

我慶幸我走在一條 不完美的道路
認清我們 多渺小 多麼脆弱
刺眼的青春宣告沉默 換床頭燈一座
卻照亮了 眼前的 所有
I'm thankful that I'm walking along this imperfect path. It helps me to recognize life's fragilities and all its insignificance. Faced with the glaring truth about my rescinding youth, I finally changed my perspective of my world, akin to the replacement of a faulty light bulb for my bedside lamp. The light from the lamp now illuminates all that lies in front of my eyes.

當生命中 最大成就 不再是掠奪 而是她們 仰望的笑容
情願婉拒應酬 趕回家喊開動
不知不覺也欣然接受 最踏實的我
My biggest achievement in life is this: I can and I will choose to decline invitations from colleagues to hang out after work. So I can rush home in time to start dinner with the longing, smiling faces. Slowly but surely, I have come to terms with my practical self but I am pleased with it.

我慶幸我走在一條 不完美的道路
認清我們 多渺小 多麼脆弱
刺眼的青春宣告沉默 換床頭燈一座
卻燙貼了 我蹉跎的 沿路旅程的顛簸
I'm thankful that I'm walking along this imperfect path. It helps me to recognize life's fragilities and all its insignificance. Faced with the glaring truth about my rescinding youth, I finally changed my perspective of my world, akin to the replacement of a faulty light bulb for my bedside lamp. The warmth from the lamp accompanies the delays along my bumpy life's journey.

我慶幸我身在這場 沒腳本的演出
領悟這個姓名 該起的作用
車窗外 時間無聲流動 我也曾任性過
終於學會了 不再辯駁
I'm thankful that I'm living this life like it was an unscripted performance. I'm awaken to the use of my family name. The world outside the car passes by quietly. I was once willful about this change but now I finally learned the importance of acceptance without refuting.

作過的夢還倒背如流 只是有了不同的感受
不奢想去外太空 躲在被窩 等賴床的周末
The list of ambitions I've made are still vivid in my mind. As I list them now this time, the feeling's different. I no longer need to feel that I'm that astronaut (who saves the world). I look forward to the lazy weekend mornings on my bed.

我慶幸我走在一條 不完美的道路
認清我們 多渺小 多麼脆弱
刺眼的青春宣告沉默 換床頭燈一座
卻燙貼了 我蹉跎的 沿路旅程的顛簸
I'm thankful that I'm walking along this imperfect path. It helps me to recognize life's fragilities and all its insignificance. Faced with the glaring truth about my rescinding youth, I finally changed my perspective of my world, akin to the replacement of a faulty light bulb for my bedside lamp. The warmth from the lamp accompanies across my delay along this bumpy journey.

我慶幸我身在這場 沒腳本的演出
領悟這個姓名 該起的作用
車窗外 時間無聲流動 我也曾任性過
終於學會了 不再辯駁
I'm thankful that I'm living this life like it was an unscripted performance. I'm awaken to the use of my family name. The world outside the car passes by quietly. I was once willful about this change but now I finally learned the importance of acceptance without refuting.


© The English interpretations, not to be confused with the literal translation of the lyrics to the song are copyrighted by Daddy and meant for his two most favorite girls, Nicole and Chloe.

No comments:

Post a Comment